Thursday, July 21, 2011

Gumball Birthday Party for HGTV


So here is the Gumball Birthday Party I styled for HGTV! To see the feature on HGTV.com go here {more exciting things coming, too}. As I said last week, HGTV contacted me in December to see if I would be willing to submit a party for an online kids party idea feature. So fun! I chose the gumball theme because I wanted the party to be bright and colorful...something that any child would adore.

I wanted to go with a vintage gumball feel. While planning the party I pictured a gumball machine in a old fashioned soda shoppe...the ideas then kept coming from there.

All photos taken by Lyndsey Fagerlund.

I found these adorable gumball machine cookies on etsy. They were made fresh and shipped to my front door by Batches. They couldn't have been cuter...
Photobucket

The printable banner & party hats were purchased from Gwynn Wasson Designs. I topped the banner with sewn/gathered crepe paper and added little red pom pom's to the tip of each pennant...
Photobucket


Cupcakes made by Dippidee {I added red gumballs to the tops to resemble cherries}. I bought the cupcake liners from Hey YoYo...
Photobucket

I found these old coca-cola crates in my local online classifieds. They were a perfect display for the small jars of gumballs! Mini Jars available to purchase here...Photobucket

Yes, that's a CAKE! Can you believe it? I sent Marcee Kitchen from Dippidee a picture of what I wanted and she worked her magic...
Photobucket

Here's a closer look at the main party table. Scalloped plates were used as trays for the yummy treats... Photobucket


Photobucket

I made these gumball machine cake pops using cake, frosting, sucker sticks, white and red candy melts, rainbow sprinkles and red spree candies! I drilled holes in a small red suitcase {purchased on amazon.com} for the base...
Photobucket

I got so excited when I found this vintage carousel gumball machine listed in my local online classifieds. The seller bought it at an estate sale...
Photobucket

I ordered these little lovelies from etsy shop, Sweeties By Kim. They are chocolate covered oreo's! I placed them on a darling blue scalloped plate....Photobucket

The fun party activity {large mason jar available to purchase here}...
Photobucket

I made the party hats from printable downloads purchased from Gwynn Wasson Designs. I sewed crepe paper together for the fringe base and top...
Photobucket


This is the second table that was set up for the party. I wanted this set up to be more simple than the other main table. I found the actual table in my local online classifieds {a great place to look for party items/decor/and props!}.

I just love the vintage soda shoppe look of it! The felt polka dot garland hanging behind the table was made to resemble gumballs, it is also something that anyone could make {and very inexpensive, too!}...

Photobucket

I used mason jars with stamped lids for drinking glasses. The straws were purchased from Hey YoYo. The colorful ribbon napkin rings were so adorable around the polka dot napkins...
Photobucket

I grew up down the road from the candy company, Peppermint Place. They have always made these cute 'Gumball Buddies'. When I decided to have a gumball party I immediately remembered them and knew that I would have to go purchase some! They looked perfect on a small cake stand...
Photobucket

Party bags also purchased from Hey YoYo...
Photobucket

I thought that ribbon wands would be so fun for the little guests to play with.
These were also easy to make. I attached colorful ribbon to the tops of painted wooden dowels and placed them in another large mason jar filled with gumballs {I bought the large mason jars at Hobby Lobby}. The colors went perfectly with the whole scheme...
Photobucket

I wanted the ice cubes to look like gumballs. I found a circle ice cube tray on amazon.com and filled it with cherry Kool Aid....
Photobucket

I made the cute gumball flower bouquet out of balloon sticks {inspiration here}, large gumballs, small gumballs and hot glue! They were tied together with fun ribbon and placed in a small vase...
Photobucket

Ribbon napkin rings available to purchase here. Napkins available to purchase here.
Photobucket

I wanted to make an inexpensive party favor for each guest. These gumball machines were so simple and fun to make! The top part is a lid that comes off so anything could be stored inside. They would also make cute cookie jars. Tutorial on how to make them HERE!...
Photobucket

31 comments:

Rachel D said...

Love it all! My daughter's nursery is going to be aqua and red, so I love seeing your ideas. Also excited to see the gumball machine tutorial.

Larissa Jaekel said...

Congratulations on working with HGTV!

HiLLjO said...

Congratulations on your HGTV spot! That is so huge! I've been waiting for this party since your teaser post! It's so CLEAN and SHARP and ADORABLE! The color palettle is genius, turquoise and red with bubble gum rainbow. GREAT job Kara!

Gwynn @ Gwynn Wasson Designs said...

OMG!!! I LOVE it!!! Love the gumball flowers. Love the cake. Love the cake pops (and that they anchored in a suitcase!) Love the pom poms on the banner. It all looks so vibrant and inviting!! I just want to run into the picture and have a (gum) ball!! You always have so many original and inspired ideas. AMAZING job!!

Nikola said...

This party is so bright and cheery! I love it...makes me feel like a kid again!!! Congratulations on the HGTV feature...that's an amazing accomplishment!

Donna said...

Congratulations on the feature! I love...everything! Looking forward to your tutorial!

Anonymous said...

WOW! Everything is absolutely perfect! And, REALLY, I cannot believe that masterpiece is a cake! It looks like an actual gumball machine! Love it all!

CWBD Parties said...

Very cute - I'm planning a bubble themed party for my daughter's birthday in April - soooo many cute ideas.

Amanda said...

You have so many great ideas wrapped up into one party! Great job! I'm so honored you included some of my products in your masterpiece!

Linda Vandermeer McCubbin said...

Wow that is a super cute gumball party. Well done.

Unknown said...

How exciting! Congrats! It is so cute!

Shelley@DivinePartyConcepts said...

Congrats!!! So cute and creative!

Unknown said...

This might just be the CUTEST party ever!!! What a fabulous job you did, love every detail!!!

Lissa (The Wedding Bistro at Bellenza) said...

Wonderful to the last detail! Truly every child's dream. And so great how you worked in the whole vintage gumball machine concept with gumball touches everywhere (even the ice cubes)! Congratulations on this HGTV feature!

Hamptontoes said...

My kind of party! Congrats on the HGTV spot! Well deserved!

Enchanted Expectations said...

Oh Congrats! I always love your parties. Everything looks great.

Jodee said...

Oh my word! What a FABULOUS party! I love all of the colors!

nikkibrown said...

What an absolutely fabulous party idea! You can up with so many, way to go! I just keep coming back to check them all out!

KCMay said...

I just love this blog! You are so talented and it's so much fun to explore your page!

Casey Martinez said...

You are amazingly talented!! The color scheme, the creativity and the theme is fantastic!!! Excellent job!!

testing 1 said...

I've already said it, but I'll say it again, absolutely fabulous! I feel like changing our birthday party themes! And the fact that I had any small part to do with it is still a wonder... :)

Gemma said...

Looooooove your site- it is my new time waster! I've got 10 months to plan my only child's 1st party, but I'm not sure I'll be able to choose just one thing! Can you please post details of where to purchase the napkin rings- so adorable for any party.k

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful set you have created! There is just such a cheerfulness to this theme! I am so honored that my cookies were a part of your adventure and the ultimate treat of being feautured on HGTV! I can't express our thanks enough. We look forward to working with you again! Congratulations!

Jean said...

No wonder HGTV chose you. Your ideas are amazing. I love this party idea because it is bright and fun and it could be for either a boy or girl. So cute! We have a vintage gumball machine in our living room. Now I know what to do with it. Time for a party!

Marcee Kitchen said...

Kara- It is so amazing! I love how it turned out. Thank you for letting me be a part of your FUN imagination. I think that cake is one of my favorites I have ever done. Congratulations! I look forward to working with you in the future. Marcee Kitchen - Owner Dippidee

kara's party ideas said...

Thanks so much everyone! Your comments mean a lot!!

Gemma- I would gladly sell you the napkin rings. They were only used once :]. Email me at karaspartyideas@yahoo.com.

Glory/ Glorious Treats said...

You did a really beautiful job with this Kara!! I love the fun color scheme and all of the well thought out details!

Andrea said...

I love all the details with this - I especially love the Coca-Cola crates - score!

Christie Ryan said...

Oh my gosh this is the cutest! I am obsessed with this site now! haha! Cannot wait for the darling gumball machine party favor tutorial! Absolutely adorable!

Anders Ruff Custom Designs said...

Absolutely ADORABLE!

Adriana said...

Absolutely gorgeous, these is such an adorable theme!

 
Blog Design by April Showers